Paint Trends for 2022
Paint does more than coat the walls of a room.
The color you choose can showcase your personality, evoke emotion, and even make a space look bigger!
Mindful of the profound effect that color can have on a space, the most influential paint manufacturers select an annual "Color of the Year." Their yearly announcements are eagerly anticipated by decorators, stagers, and homeowners who understand the power of paint.
Whether you're renovating to sell or want to jazz up your favorite rooms, here are the latest paint trends and how to use them during your next home improvement project.
How Color Influences a Room
Did you know that there is a psychology of paint? It's true.
According to noted Interior Designer and Psychological Color Expert Kristie Barnett, "Whether you want to surround yourself with peace and calm or create a unique wonderland for your imagination, new paint color is the most transformative tool available!"
It's all about knowing how to identify the colors that will make a room as cozy or inviting as possible and selecting the hues that will make you feel good. When done right, color can create a remarkable experience--it can enliven dark corners and bring cheer and freshness to formerly lackluster spaces.
1. Benjamin Moore
Benjamin Moore's Color Trends 2022 Palette includes 14 hues, offering endless combinations that ensure effortless harmony. These colors were chosen based on their "modern-day relevance and long-lasting appeal."
The company's top pick is October Mist, which evokes the silver-green stem of a flower. Acting as a canvas for other, bolder colors, this hue allows for plenty of creativity.
Other recommendations include:
Tips from Benjamin Moore:
- Choose luminous pales to invigorate your senses
- Opt for botanical hues when seeking a sense of warmth
- Paint with refreshed primaries to let your personal style shine
The BEHR® Colour Trends 2022 Palette offers 20 hues that will "ignite newfound passions and enhance every corner of your home."
Breezeway was the top pick, inspired by the hue "where the sea meets the sky."
The intent of this color is to bring a breath of fresh air into any space. It's being used on everything from kitchen cabinetry to front doors, bedroom walls, to office walls. For effortless styling, harmonize it with shades of white, grey, and natural wood tones.
Behr recommends using its 2022 colors by decorating:
- Flexible spaces (suggested colors include Laurel Tree, Perfect Penny, Cracked Pepper, and Lunar Surface)
- Serene Sanctuaries (suggested colors include Ocean Abyss, Etched Glass, Dark Cobalt Blue, and Nightingale Gray)
- Natural influences (suggested colors include Basswood, Wild Mustang, Corn Stalk, and Studio Clay)
For 2022, Valspar chose colors that come from nature, intending to bring a calming, comfortable presence into any home. The Valspar Colors of the Year are 12 hues that are both trendy and timeless.
Let's take a closer look at some of these colors.
- Blanched Thyme — This shade of green pairs perfectly with warmer wood tones to create a balanced, natural look. With its lovely ability to help you refocus, this color promotes a space that is calming and grounding. In an office, style it with a wood desk and other natural elements. In a bedroom or living room, you might pair it with warmer tones.
- Lilac Lane — This shade of pink is all about uplifting and restoring a space, bringing optimism into any room. Often used as a colorful backdrop, this color works great to feature an accent wall but it's also ideal for an entire room. To style, complement it with textured accessories and pops of accent colors.
- Rustic Oak — This warm, rich color will add sophistication. Reminiscent of shades from the 70s and 90s, warm tones are making a strong comeback. It's stunning when paired with dark wood floors.
Other trending colors include:
- Gilded Linen
- Delightful Moon
- Mountain River
- Orchid Ash
- Grey Suit
- Subtle Peach
- Sunset Curtains
- Country Charm
- Fired Earth
If you'd like to dive deeper into paint trends for 2022, check out these Guides: